ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FUN, FAST AND FRUGAL WAYS TO CHANGE OUT YOUR SEASONAL DECOR? TRY USING PRINTABLES AND DOLLAR STORE SUPPLIES TO CREATE YOUR OWN UNIQUE AND EASY DIY TIERED TRAY DECOR!
I’m not sure if you’ve noticed by now, but I LOVE tiered trays. At last count, I had five different trays scattered throughout our home. And our house isn’t that big! So yes, you can certainly call me a fan. But it can get a little costly to continuously change out the knick-knacks on these trays. That’s why I’ve come up with some easy DIY tiered tray decor that you can make at home, using a blend of dollar store supplies and FREE printables!
What I love about this particular printable is that it will suit pretty much any home! After all, we all love a “Home Sweet Home” and who doesn’t love black and white buffalo plaid? Using a simple black and white pattern allows this printable to fit into any farmhouse decor, especially into a tiered tray!
GET THE FREE PRINTABLE: HOME SWEET HOME
Then go ahead and download the files titled “Home Sweet Home” Printables! Choose the size that best suits your needs and print it out.
HOW TO CREATE EASY DIY TIERED TRAY DECOR
There are so very many ways to create your own decor and using printables makes it quick and easy! You can choose to use the images that you download from me (FOR FREE), or from others, in picture frames, on blocks of wood or in any other creative way you can think of!
Here are a few ways to display printables:
- Use a mini clipboard to display a cute image
- ModPodge allows you to attach your printables to any number of surfaces, including wood or glass
- Themed picture frames display simple printables in a cute way
- Try placing a bold printable inside a glass vase for a different perspective
- Shadow boxes are a fun way to both display a printable AND create an interesting vignette
SUPPLIES TO CREATE YOUR EASY DIY TIERED TRAY DECOR
- Display piece, such as a picture frame, wood block or another surface
- Paper trimmer or scissors
- Printer – this HP Envy Photo 7155 All in One Photo Printer is a printer I have used and love. I now use the Epson EcoTank, which is also awesome!
- FREE “HOME SWEET HOME” Printable from my Member Vault
Depending on the look you are after, you may or may not need the following supplies:
Be sure to check out my video review of my favourite tiered trays here:
HOW I DISPLAY MY “HOME SWEET HOME” PRINTABLE
I created a cute little display using supplies I had sitting in my craft cupboard! And believe it or not, all the supplies I used for this little display box came from the dollar store!
I showed you how I used a wooden gift box to create decor for a St. Patrick’s Day tiered tray in an earlier post. I’m using the lid from that little gift box for this project, a black marker and my Free printable. Yup, that’s it! So let me show you what I did:
- Display piece - picture frame, wood box or block
- Black permanent marker
- FREE HOME SWEET HOME Printable from my Member Vault
- Embellishments, such as ribbon or flowers (this is optional)
- Hot glue gun or tape (optional)
- Scissors or Paper Trimmer
- For this project, I'm using the lid of a wooden gift box that I found in a dollar store. The outside of the lid measures 4 ¼" (approx. 10.5 cm) and the inside is 3 ⅞" (approx. 9.75 cm).
- Visit my FREE Member Vault and download the files containing the HOME SWEET HOME printables.
- Print the size of printable that best fits your display piece. I chose the 4x4" print, as I can easily trim it down slightly to fit inside the lid of the box.
- Decide if you want to make this display permanent or temporary. I chose to make it temporary, so I did not glue anything into place. Instead, I used small pieces of tape to keep the print in place. You can, however, choose to use glue, ModPodge, tape or any other means of keeping your printable in place!
- Using a permanent black marker, line the front edges of the lid.
- You can finish the display by adding embellishments to the inside, edges or back! I've left the back blank, since it will be facing the wall and I'm not sure how I will use this box in the future!
Now wasn’t that easy? And how cute is this? I love this little HOME SWEET HOME display piece for my newest tiered tray! The buffalo plaid helps it to fit right into my farmhouse-style decor, but it’s neutral enough that it would look great in a more modern space as well.
Of course, there are a few ways you can do this differently than I did. You could try:
- Painting the inside and outside of the display piece in a colour that works with your decor theme. My style tends toward neutral and casual, so the unfinished wood worked great for me! But as a side note, think how cute it would look if you painted the box red!
- Print a larger image than what fits inside the display, and wrap it around the outside! You wind up with a slightly larger piece.
SUGGESTIONS AND TIPS FOR SUCCESS WITH PRINTABLES
- If you have a laser-jet printer, allow the image to dry completely before gluing or using ModPodge on it. The colours can bleed a little if they aren’t fully set!
- Letter-weight paper will work for your printable, but be careful if working with ModPodge or glue – too much can cause your paper to tear if you aren’t careful when applying it.
QUICK AND EASY DIY PROJECTS
So as you can see, your seasonal decor does not have to be expensive or complicated! It should be quick, easy and fun to update your home whenever you feel the need. Just remember to use my FREE printables whenever you need a refresh!
Want to remember this? Save this EASY DIY TIERED TRAY DECOR: ADORABLE HOME SWEET HOME PRINTABLE to your favourite Pinterest boards!