GET READY TO KICK OFF THE HOLIDAY SEASON WITH OUR 12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS IN JULY! UP FIRST, WE’RE MAKING A SIMPLE BUT STUNNING RUSTIC CHRISTMAS WREATH.
The holiday season may not quite be upon us, but this year, we’re getting ready early! And what better way to prepare for the festive cheer than by creating your own rustic Christmas wreath!
While circular wreaths are a classic choice, today we’ll explore a twist with a square rope wreath. This unique design adds a touch of contemporary charm to your holiday decor. Whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned DIY enthusiast, this step-by-step guide will walk you through the process of creating a stunning rustic Christmas wreath.
Supplies for Your Rustic Christmas Wreath
Before we dive into the wreath-making process, let’s gather the necessary materials and tools. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Rope: I will be using a simple jute rope, but feel free to choose a durable and pliable rope in a colour that complements your Christmas theme. Opt for a rope that’s approximately 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.
- Wire Wreath Frame: To ensure your wreath maintains its shape, you’ll need a wire or metal frame in the size of your desired square wreath. I will be making my wreath on a 14″ square wire wreath frame from my local dollar store. You can also find these frames at craft stores or online.
- Glue Gun and Floral Wire: You will need these to secure the rope to the wreath frame.
- Scissors and Wire Snips
- Embellishments of your choosing
Now that we have everything we need let’s move on to creating our square wreath masterpiece!
How to Make a Rustic Christmas Wreath
Our first step is to wrap the rope. Begin at one corner of the square and secure the rope using a small amount of hot glue or wire. This initial anchor will prevent the rope from slipping as you wrap. You can see in the image below how I have secured my rope:
Gently wrap the rope tightly around the frame, ensuring each loop aligns with the previous one. Continue wrapping until you reach the next corner. At each corner, secure the rope with glue or wire to maintain the square shape. As you progress, make sure the rope remains taut and evenly wrapped.
To ensure the rope stays securely in place, periodically use hot glue or wire to secure it along the frame. Apply a small amount of glue or wrap a piece of floral wire around the rope at regular intervals, especially on the corners and edges. This extra reinforcement will keep your wreath intact and long-lasting.
Remember to take your time during this step. Attention to detail will make all the difference!
You can watch how it all comes together here in my YouTube video:
Adding Decorative Elements to Your Rustic Christmas Wreath
Now comes the fun part! Personalizing your wreath with decorative elements will really let your own style shine through. Embrace your creativity and incorporate traditional Christmas accents or explore some unique ideas.
Here are a few suggestions for embellishments:
- Bows: Attach a festive bow made of ribbon to one corner or center of the wreath for a charming touch.
- Ornaments: Hang small ornaments from the corners or weave them into the rope for a pop of colour and sparkle.
- Pine Cones and Berries: Intersperse pine cones, artificial berries, or holly sprigs throughout the wreath to evoke a woodland charm.
- Personalized Sign or Monogram: Craft or purchase a small sign or monogram that represents your family’s name or the spirit of the season. Attach it securely to the wreath for a personalized touch.
Of course, you don’t have to choose just one of these ideas! Consider combining one or more of these elements into your wreath. A cute sign or the initial of your last name nestled above greenery and pinecones is both rustic and timeless.
Once your decorative elements are in place, it’s time to add the finishing touches to your wreath. Trim off any excess rope, making sure any ends are neatly tucked away. Take a moment to inspect your wreath for any loose or unsecured rope or embellishments, and reinforce them with glue or wire as needed.
When it comes time to hang and display your rustic Christmas wreath, you have a few options. A sturdy hook on your front door, a prominent wall, or an inviting window are excellent options. Alternatively, use a decorative ribbon to suspend your wreath from a hook or nail.
And there you have it! You successfully made your first project in my 12 Days of Christmas in July and created a stunning rustic Christmas wreath. To see more of my favourite Christmas wreaths, you can check out these posts:
- DIY Mickey Mouse Christmas Wreath: How to Make Easy Disney Holiday Decor – WATCH IT HERE!
- Easy Yarn DIY Christmas Wreath: Holiday Decor on a Budget – WATCH IT HERE!
As you can see, with just a few materials and some creative effort, you can easily add a personal touch to your holiday decor. Be sure to tune in tomorrow when we’ll be creating a classic Christmas tree ornament!
Want to remember this? Save this Rustic Christmas Wreath: 12 Days of Christmas in July to your favourite Pinterest boards!