ADD SOME FUN AND FRESH ELEMENTS TO YOUR SPRING DECORATING WITH EASY DIY DOLLAR STORE DECOR! LEARN HOW TO MAKE A DECORATIVE BEE SKEP FOR YOUR TIERED TRAYS OR KITCHEN DISPLAYS!
These days, it seems like the buzz is all about bees. Sorry, I couldn’t resist! But seriously, decorating for Spring gives you so many choices and bees are certainly a favourite go-to focus! So naturally, I wanted to come up with a quick and easy DIY dollar store decor project to add some fun to your home.
Of course, constantly switching up your decor can get a little pricey, so it’s nice to find frugal ways of decorating, right? This adorable little bee skep is made with dollar store materials and you can make a bunch in an afternoon! Plus, if you want, you can make them in different shapes and sizes – the only adjustment you’ll need to make is the amount of materials you’ll use.
Supplies for a Decorative Bee Skep
The list of materials for this project is actually pretty short, which is awesome! And the best part is you can likely find everything you need at your local dollar store. If not, you’ll certainly find what you need at a craft store! I’ve included some links below for Amazon, in case you don’t want to leave your house!
You can see just how easily this project comes together in this video from my YouTube channel:
So here’s what I’m using for this project:
- Jute Rope – I’m using a thickness of approximately 1/4″, but depending on the size of your base, you might need thicker or thinner rope
- Hot Glue Gun
- Elmer’s Multi-Purpose Spray Adhesive (this is totally optional, but I found it really sped up the process!)
- Black Permanent Marker or Black Acrylic Paint
- Base to shape your skep – I’m using this Plastic Coconut Cup, but you could use anything that is the right shape – planters, containers, etc.
- Craft Flowers
Naturally, there are plenty of ways to personalize the look of these bee skeps, but how’s that for a simple list of materials? Pretty great, I’d say!
How to Make a Decorative Bee Skep
This is literally one of the easiest projects you are going to make all year! These decorative bee skeps are quick and easy to make, and you can even make a series of nesting pieces! By nesting, of course, I mean one inside the other, NOT a place for nesting bees!
I should also say – these are DECORATIVE ONLY! These DIY bee skeps should NEVER be used to try to house any types of bees! These really are designed for indoor use. If you choose to put them outside, you’ll want to be sure that the base is sealed. You may not end up with bees, but if there’s a way, you might just get some unwanted visitors moving in. Wasps would love the opportunity to create a nest in a cozy little space like the bases of these skeps, so make sure that doesn’t happen!
So let’s take a look at how to make a decorative bee skep!
- Jute rope
- Base for your skep (a container in the shape of a bee hive)
- Black craft paint (or black permanent marker)
- Spray Adhesive
- Craft flowers
- Bee embellishments (optional)
- Hot glue gun
- Start by choosing a base for your bee skep. You'll want a base that is round, tapered at the top and the appropriate size for your decor. I'm using a coconut cup that I purchased at a dollar store, as it's exactly the shape and size I like!
- Before beginning to wrap your jute rope, create your "handle" at the top. Cut a piece of rope that is roughly 3 times the width of the base. For example, my base is 4" wide at the centre, so I cut a length of rope 12" long.
- Tie a knot in the handle rope - fold the rope in half and tie a knot roughly one-third of the way up, like this:
- Your handle length above the knot will be nearly the same length as your base is wide. My handle measures about 3 ½" above the knot.
- With your hot glue gun, affix the handle to the top of your base, spreading out the tails below the knot. Make sure the knot is in the centre.
- Once you've attached your handle, you will start wrapping! Adhere the jute rope to the base with hot glue. Secure approximately ½" to get started.
- At this point, you can use an adhesive spray or continue to use your hot glue gun to secure the jute rope to the base.
- If you choose to use the adhesive spray, mist a small amount on the base at a time and start wrapping!
- I like to twist the rope as I go, making sure that the weave stays nice and uniform.
- Wrap it all the way to the top of the base and around the knot of the handle, leaving the loop exposed. Cut the rope that you have been wrapping with and secure the end with hot glue.
- Create the "opening" to the skep by tracing a circle onto one side. You can use any round object or stencil you have on hand. There is no right or wrong size, just pick what you like!
- Fill in the circle using black craft paint or a black permanent marker. Note that the paint will provide much better coverage, but if you like a little bit of the rope showing through, the marker is the way to go.
- Cut a short piece of rope that is the size of the outside of your painted opening.
- Use hot glue to adhere the short piece of rope around the black circle.
- Now you can fancy up your bee skep any way you like! I've used ribbon, which I wrapped around the base of the handle and secured with hot glue.
- Then I attached a simple flower and leaves, also with hot glue.
- You can add as much or as little embellishment as you like!
When using spray adhesive - be sure you are in a WELL-VENTILATED AREA! The fumes from this adhesive are strong.
THIS IS A DECORATIVE PIECE ONLY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO HOUSE BEES OR ANY OTHER INSECTS IN THIS SKEP.
Now wasn’t that a super easy DIY? Combine that with the fact that most (if not all) of these supplies can be found at the dollar store, and you’ve got a fun AND frugal decor piece for your home! After all, the whole point of a DIY project, besides the personal touch, is to save money, right?
Of course, as you know by now, I love a good DIY as much as you do! If you’d like more easy DIY projects, be sure to try my Easy DIY Tiered Tray Decor: Adorable Home Sweet Home Printable and my post on How to Make a Photo Board. You can make both of these projects in an afternoon.
WANT TO REMEMBER THIS? SAVE “EASY DIY DOLLAR STORE DECOR: MAKE A DECORATIVE BEE SKEP” TO YOUR FAVOURITE PINTEREST BOARDS!