DO YOU OFTEN FEEL LIKE YOUR HOME COULD BE SO MUCH MORE? THE FIRST STEP TO CREATING YOUR LITTLE HANDMADE HOME IS TO DECLUTTER RIGHT NOW, AND MAKE SOME SPACE FOR WHAT’S IMPORTANT!
Have you ever noticed that when you are organized, your mornings are less stressful, mealtimes are more enjoyable and everything seems to run a little smoother? Imagine if it could be like that every day! It can be, with these 13 ways to declutter right now!
When your home is cluttered, so are you. And what I mean by that is that your mind feels a little more cluttered, your home feels a little more stressful and little bumps in the road seem to turn into boulders. You can combat this, and make things simpler by removed unnecessary items from your home.
Trying to decorate in a space that is filled with clutter is even worse because you end up piling things on top of things and you aren’t even sure what’s there anymore. Adding pieces of decor into a room that is already bursting at the seams can be overwhelming and you’ll never truly love the results.
So I’ve come up with a list of 13 ways you can declutter right now. To be honest, there are WAY more than 13 things that could go on this list, but it’s a good place to start!
- Garbage. I know, it sounds obvious, but sometimes going through the house and picking up little pieces of trash that have been overlooked can make a big difference.
- Recycling. Just like garbage, recycling has a habit of hiding. Clear it out, and see what’s sitting there.
- Unimportant papers. Unless you have a really good system for dealing with junk mail, it will often pile up in the entryway or worse – the kitchen counter.
- Old newspapers or magazines. While this is becoming less common with the ease of online material, you can still end up with a stack if you aren’t careful. If you haven’t read them in a timely manner (2 days for newspapers, 2 weeks for a magazine), you likely won’t. Recycle them.
- Past date items in the fridge or cupboards. Yuck. They gotta go.
The Next Level
- Clear the kitchen counters. When your kitchen is clean, the rest of the home will follow suit! Determine if what’s cluttering the countertops even belongs there! Check out my post on How to Minimize Your Kitchen and Kick Clutter to the Curb for some tips on what you might want to keep or get rid of.
- Carry a basket with you as you clean. Pick up any stray items that aren’t in their homes, so that you aren’t running around madly. Add the items to the basket, and once all the rooms are clean, empty the basket’s contents to the right places.
- Organize your shoes. If you’re anything like me, you’ve accumulated a pile by the front door. If it’s the turn of a season (as it so often is when we get the urge to purge), store your off-season footwear out of the way.
- Sort through unused medications and properly dispose of anything past the expiration date.
- Look for items to donate, based on seasonal needs. Is it Fall? A large number of organizations will be looking for coats, hats and mitts in preparation for winter. Consider whether you need every piece that you have. Be sure the items are in good repair, and stain-free.
- Remove items from your home office that you aren’t using. This was a bit of a tricky one for me. I was pretty sure I needed ALL the things when I started working from home, but it turns out – NOPE! I need a computer. And of course a few other items, but nothing even close to what I was considering purchasing! Again, donate what you can.
- Sort through your books and think about donating or swapping the ones you have read. Many cities have book swap programs, and lots of organizations will use books as part of their fundraising efforts. If you are pretty sure you won’t read it again, pass it along.
- DVDs and CDs. With the ease of Netflix, Amazon Prime and the like, do you really need all those movies on DVD? If you aren’t ready to let them go, is there a more practical way to store them? We recycled all the cases from our movies and tv shows and now keep our DVDs in these Nylon CD/DVD Binder Cases, and we love it. They fit nicely inside our footstools!
So there you have it. See how easy it is to find 13 ways you can declutter right now? SO Easy! If you are looking to go a little further with your decluttering, why not think about joining a challenge? I have a FREE 5-DAY CRAFTING ORGANIZATION CHALLENGE designed to take you from Chaotic to Creative inside a week. Ready? Let’s do it!
Want to save this? Post this list of 13 Ways You Can Declutter Right Now to your favourite Pinterest Boards!